VideoLAN first added Chromecast support to the VLC app back in January. Now the developers are finally ready to bring Chromecast support in its final form to iPhone and iPad users.
VLC for iOS lets you play all your movies, shows and music in most formats directly without conversion. It allows file synchronization with Dropbox, GDrive, OneDrive, Box, iCloud Drive, iTunes, direct downloads and through WiFi sharing as well as streaming from SMB, FTP, UPnP/DLNA media servers and the web.
Besides Chromecast support, the update to VLC for iOS brings several other bug fixes and performance improvements to the app. Users should experience improved audio playback quality and an option to view 360 videos simply by moving your phone around.
VLC for iOS version 3.1.0 has the following new features and improvements:
- We added a feature many of you waited for: Chromecast support
- We fixed a bug where files on your phone were not displayed in VLC
- 360 videos can be viewed by moving your phone now
- Stability and performance improvements when decoding H.264/H.265 in hardware
- Improved audio playback quality