Amazon is making its own entry into purchases and transactions with Amazon Local Register, which it hopes will take on services like PayPal and Square with a few competitive advantages. Since the company has a strong online ecosystem with a great hold on online payments, it makes sense that it would try expanding into the real world.
Users have three easy steps in order to get started with Amazon Local Register:
- Sign up for the new service on the official Amazon Local Register website
- Download the official app from Google Play, Apple App Store or Amazon Appstore.
- Purchase the secure card reader
Once you have completed these steps you will be ready to start swiping or manually accepting credit and debit cards for your transactions. Your income can be automatically deposited to your bank account the next day or used on Amazon.com immediately.
Local Register is starting with better fees than both of its competitors. If you sign up before October 31, 2014, you'll be able to benefit from a reduced 1.75% rate on swiped transactions through December 31, 2015, after which the rate will go back to 2.5%. Compared to Square's 2.75% and Paypal Here's 2.7%, you may be saving a lot if you expect to deal with high transaction volumes. The competitive pricing also applies to manually keyed card payments.
Local Register also comes with Amazon's live support should you need it. All in all, it seems like a viable and cheaper alternative to the current established services.
You can download the app directly on your device through its respective App Stores or through the following links:
|Requirements||Android 4.0.3 or greater||iOS 7.0 or greater||Fire OS|
Amazon Local Register has the following features:
- Take credit and debit card payments
- Record cash transactions
- Customize your register with saved product images and prices
- Give customers printed or e-mail receipts
- Customize tax, tips, and signature settings
- Easily issue full and partial refunds or resend receipts
- Password-protect sensitive account information and sales reports
- No monthly fee or fees for processing chargebacks
- Samsung Galaxy S3
- Samsung Galaxy S4
- Samsung Galaxy S5
- Kindle Fire HD and HDX 7''
- Kindle Fire HD and HDX 8.9''