Apple has released public beta versions of iOS 9 and Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan, as they promised back at WWDC 2015. The pre-release software is available for free immediately to anyone with compatible iOS and Mac hardware.
This is not the first time Apple has released a public beta version of OS X, last year we saw Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite also offered in a similar beta form, while registered developers received newer builds to prepare their apps for Apple's desktop platform. Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan is expected to be released later this year in fall to all compatible Macs for free.
With El Capitan, Apple is focusing on making Mac OS X more user friendly, by enhancing the existing features. Mac OS X 10.11 will ship with numerous feature improvements such as split-screen apps when in full-screen mode, a more intelligent multitasking experience, public transit information in the native Maps app, as well as significant performance improvements under the hood. Accessing email, opening PDFs and many other cumbersome tasks are now significantly faster with OS X 10.11.
If you have compatible hardware, and are interested in trying on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan, head over to beta.apple.com to get started.
How to download and install Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Public Beta
Even though Apple has made the beta version of Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan available to the public, users are not recommended to install the beta unless they are fully aware of the risks associated with installing pre-release software. Performance issues, instability, battery life drainage and other issues are common with beta releases. We’ll recommend installing this on a spare and test device only. DO NOT install the beta on your main primary device. Please proceed at your own risk.
- Head over to the beta.apple.com.
- If you are enrolled in the Apple Beta Software Program already then click on ‘Sign In,’ if not then click on ‘Sign Up.’
- Enter your Apple ID credentials to sign in
- You will now be asked to accept Apple Beta Software Program Agreement. Click on Accept.
- It’s time to enroll your Mac into the Apple Beta Software Program. Simply click on the ‘Enroll Your Devices’ button on top of the Apple Beta Software Program website.
- Scroll down and click on the blue ‘Download OS X El Capitan Public Beta’ button, which will open up the Mac App Store. Make sure you note down the ‘redemption code’ underneath it.
- Enter your redemption code in the small box below the ‘Redeem Code’ page. Click on ‘Redeem’ once you’re done.
If you have followed these steps correctly, you will begin downloading OS X 10.11 El Capitan Public Beta on your Mac. You can check its progress by either bringing up Launchpad, or by clicking on the ‘Purchases’ tab in the Mac App Store.
All of the subsequent Public Beta builds of OS X El Capitan will be pushed through the Mac App Store here on in. Hence, whenever the second Public Beta release of OS X El Capitan is available to download, just launch the Mac App Store, click on the Updates tab, and update away.
Apple's mobile users can also find out how to download and install the iOS 9 public beta on your compatible iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.