Sony has started rolling out the Android 5.0 Lollipop update for the Sony Xperia Z, Sony Xperia Z1, Sony Xperia Z1 Compact and Sony Xperia Z1 Ultra. The new update will move the build number from 14.5.A.0.242 to version 14.5.A.0.270.
The update is currently only live on Telus Canada for the C6906 variant only, but it should start seeding for the other Xperia Z1 variants shortly (along with the Z1 Compact and Z Ultra). A number of people have received emails from Sony regarding this update over the last 12 hours or so, so it should be too long before it rolls.
The update offers the following new features and improvements in its changelog, which are similar to what we have already seen on the Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z3 updates.
Sony Xperia Z1 update (14.5.A.0.270) changelog
- Ensured the lock screen / notification bar doesn’t indicate “no service” when the device has coverage
- Added a Sony feature; bringing back the “close-all-button” in the activity menu, so you can easily close all apps at once
- Unblocked devices with server policies (such as Exchange Active Sync for e-mail), to enable the new Lollipop lock-screen notifications
- Ensured the LED light is lit across all sound modes – and no longer offset by “silent”
- Made the necessary fixes to enable the easy movement of content from internal memory to external microSD card (something we saw affecting a few devices)
- Improved messaging functionality in Ultra stamina mode – some conversations could not be opened before in Ultra stamina mode
Meanwhile, the update for the older Xperia Z series (reportedly 1.2GB in size) contains Lollipop's most notable additions, that is Material Design, lock screen notifications, user profiles, and moving apps to SD cards.
The Lollipop updates should be available over the air and via Sony's desktop software around the world soon. Xperia Z1 users in Canada and Hungary have posted screenshots following the update, confirming that it is indeed rolling out. While there is no news from , but the two-year old phone should be getting updated as we speak. So far, only users in Taiwan have confirmed its sightings.
source - Xperia Blog