The Android 5.1 Lollipop update is now rolling out to the NVIDIA Shield Tablet, in the form of Update 3.0. The update can be downloaded under Settings on both LTE and WiFi variants of the NVIDIA Shield Tablet.
The Android 5.1 Lollipop update offers a few UI tweaks, improves how notifications are handled, and patches some bugs. Even though it is not a major Android version, it offers some useful enhancements to the platform.
The update will be rolled out in stages, so expect a few days before it is available for your device. Once you receive the OTA notification, make sure your battery is appropriately (at least 50%) charged and that you are connected to a strong WiFi connection before downloading and installing the update.
Update 3.0 for the NVIDIA Shield Tablet has the following new features and improvements:
- Upgrade Android Operating System to version 5.1
- Improved performance and responsiveness.
- Enhanced security, including support for Android for Work.
- Improved quick-settings menu, profile management etc.
- Improved display performance
- Enabled Global Tone Mapping feature. This feature can be toggled by the user.
- New firmware update for SHIELD controller
- Improved pairing experience and other optimizations.
- Please note: You can update the SHIELD controller over WiFi. Look out for a notification on your SHIELD tablet.
- System wide improvements including camera, audio, modem (LTE only) and other fixes
A member from XDA-Developers has posted the direct links for the full ROM files for all SHIELD Tablet variants. You should be able to manually apply these files in a custom recovery. This will be useful to users you have rooted their tablet, and are therefore ineligible for post-Android 5.0 OTA updates.
According to the comments, it would seem the WiFi model uses the same ROM no matter what county you are in.
source - NVIDIA | XDA